German Renaissance painted plaster ornament, (1898). Creator: Unknown
German Renaissance painted plaster ornament, (1898). 'Our representations illustrate further details of the ceiling in the large knight's hall of the castle of Heiligenberg mentioned with Plate 72. This ceiling is carved entirely of lime-wood and profusely coloured, specially with blue, red, green, gold and silver. But in spite of this richness of colours and the surprising variety of foliage, tendrils, ribbon-work, figures etc. it does not in the least appear overladen or unquiet, but the total impression on the eye is, as mentioned before, throughout agreeable and harmonious'. Schloss Heiligenberg, in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany, was built in the 13th century and remodelled in the Renaissance style in the late 16th century. Plate 76 from "The Historic Styles of Ornament" translated from the German of H. Dolmetsch. [B.T. Batford, London, 1898]
© The Print Collector/Heritage Images
Lid of the coffin of Khenstefnakht, Ancient Egyptian, 26th dynasty, 664-525 BC. Artist
Lid of the coffin of Khenstefnakht, Ancient Egyptian, 26th dynasty, 664-525 BC. From el-Hiba. The lid is painted with a depiction of the goddess Nut, whose body symbolized the vault of the sky, offering protection to the deceased. Nut is portrayed swallowing the setting sun and getting ready to give birth to the morning sun. From the Musees Royaux d' Arts et d' Histoire, Brussels.
© Werner Forman Archive / Musee Royaux d' Arts et d' Histoire / Heritage-Images
Akhenaten and Nefertiti under the rays of the Aten, Ancient Egyptian, Amarna period, c1350-1334 BC
Akhenaten and Nefertiti under the rays of the Aten, Ancient Egyptian, Amarna period, c1350-1334 BC. A painted limestone sunken relief from the facade of a shrine showing the Pharaoh Akhenaten and his Queen, Nefertiti, offering libations to Aten, the sun god. During the Amarna period shrines in the form of pylons were placed in private houses to serve as altars for the cult of the royal family and the god Aten. This example was discovered in the house of Paneshy at Amarna. From the Egyptian Museum, Cairo.
© Werner Forman Archive / Egyptian Museum, Cairo / Heritage-Images